THEME OF A DISSERTATION: ” THE SPIRITUAL PSYCHOTHERAPY OF ALCOHOLISM IN THE TRADITION OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
Vladimir Anatolyevich Tsygankov
Theme of a dissertation: ” The spiritual psychotherapy of alcoholism in the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church”
Specialty code: 37.001
Dissertation for the degree of: a Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
Date of defence: 08.05.2009
Scientific adviser: V. V. Lukoyanov, Yu. V. Vysochin
Opponents: Shanti P. Jayasekara, A. N. Jesuitov
Number of pages: 123
The purpose and objectives of the study
Purpose – study, development and support of scientific conceptual basics, principles, mechanisms, organizational and methodological features of a method of orthodox psychotherapy of alcoholism according to tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church, implemented in church treatment and rehabilitation practice of helping people with alcohol dependence, and study of co-dependent relationship, when having alcoholism. Investigation of the efficiency of the method of orthodox psychotherapy of alcoholism according to the Russian Orthodox Church tradition.
Objectives: 1) to examine, summarize and justify the conceptual framework, principles, organizational and methodological support of the Orthodox method of psychotherapy of alcoholism according to the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church.
2) to identify socio-demographic characteristics alcohol-addicted persons, who have treatment and rehabilitation programs in the church on this method.
3) to describe the co-dependent relationship when having alcoholism in the family, to identify personal characteristics and clinical manifestations in co-dependent wives, and their relationship with an alcohol-addicted family member.
4) to explore the accentuation of alcohol-addicted persons according to Leongard-Smishek before and after the treatment and rehabilitation program on a method of orthodox psychotherapy of alcoholism according to the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church.
5) to carry out statistical studies in long-term remission in alcohol-addicted persons, who have taken medical and rehabilitation program for this method.
6) to evaluate the effectiveness of the method of orthodox psychotherapy of alcoholism (according to the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church) in church practice, treatment and rehabilitation assistance in alcoholism.
The object of study – alcohol dependence
Subject of study – the Orthodox Church therapeutic rehabilitation practices for people with alcohol dependence.
Scientific novelty and theoretical significance of the study
In accordance with the analysis of literary sources and materials of this study there was proposed and experimentally tested a new method – Orthodox psychotherapy of alcoholism according to the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church. the historical and theoretical basis of this method is given, the principles and technology of its application are explained, the organizational and methodological support is developed.
Socio-demographic and patho-psychological features of individuals with alcohol dependence, who voluntarily seek help from the orthodox church treatment and rehabilitation programs, are identified. Their psychological status is assessed. The dynamics of remission of patients within six months and two years is experienced. The estimation of the effectiveness of the method of orthodox alcoholism psychotherapy, according to the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church, is given.
The practical significance of
A new method is proposed and experimentally tested – the spiritual psychotherapy of alcoholism in the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church. The organizational and methodological principles of this method are justified and implemented. The informative and psycho-diagnostic indicators to assess health status and psychological characteristics of psycho-physiological alcohol-addicted persons, who have applied for help in the Orthodox Church for treatment and rehabilitation programs, are revealed. A questionnaire for alcoholism is developed. It is shown, that the method of psychotherapy of alcoholism in the Orthodox tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church is the basic principle of effective assistance to recovering alcoholics.